Thursday 29 May 2008

Just a figment of our imagination


Well yet another horrific night caused by that industrial noise that doesn’t exist. That roaring noise that goes right through you makes you feel physically sick and is a figment of our imagination.

At some unearthly hour, when I was on the brink of going off my tree and doing something I would regret, I gave up and took a sleeping tablet, something I usually try and avoid, I am definitely not one for popping pills, but I was at the end of my tether and could not take any more. About an hour later the wind direction must have changed and the noise became tolerable enough to allow me to get to sleep, trouble is the people in North or East Rockingham probably copped it then. I should point out that we don’t always suffer this noise, this bad, it definitely is exacerbated at this time of year because of the weather conditions.

So I expect I got about 4 hours sleep, trouble is I have a hang over this morning – sleeping pills do that to me. And no it was not alcohol induced I have definitely been too sick the last few days to face a drink of alcohol.

For nearly 3 days now I have felt physically sick to the point where I have been throwing up on a regular basis. Whether this is a case of the noise, the stress of not being able to sleep or the problem of when the Kwinana Industry noise is unbearable it means the winds are light and blowing directly from industry to my front door, so this also brings the air pollution, all those toxic chemicals from Kwinana Industry smoke stacks in particular the particulates and who knows what is attached to them. But wait a minute there is no pollution in Kwinana, the stuff we see coming out of those smoke stacks is just water vapour, it’s not toxic at all according to industry and our authorities. That haze we see in the lights at night is just another figment of our imagination… I digress…

Anyway during the sleeplessness I had some thoughts on how to combat this noise problem, one is possible legal action but I won’t go into that here, the other was; I have a noise meter so we tape the industrial noise at the levels we are exposed to, we set up a big sound system on the back of a ute, park out-side the house of those in authority who collude with industry, at say 2am and play the recorded noise at the same db we are exposed to. It will probably get me arrested, but hey it might get some attention from the media, which is what we need, even those in the media that are deeply involved in collusion in forcing of industry propaganda down our throats might actually have to run our side of the story.

So that sounds like a plan to think about.
PS. I will provide an update later, as to what happened at the council meeting last night, just have to check out some info first.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve

It appears you reside in the state of WA - a state ruled by corporate cowboys. This once beautiful state has seen the foulness of industry encroach on many residential areas.

Your Kwinana, Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Pt Hedland, Wagerup, Canning Vale etc etc - all fouled by hazardous emissions.

Ignorant politicians remain captured by pollutant industries and it is set to worsen. These ignoramuses operate under a mask of economic "progress" and gag protestors with a stupefying round of swill.

WA is now officially recognised as one of the planets worst ecological hotspots.

By the way Steve, is that American Indian, Chief Seattle a wise man indeed when he said:

"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.

"Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect."

What can one do when senior bureaucrats and ignorant politicians all feast from the same poisoned tree and good men say nothing?

Cheers

Congo

Steve said...

Thanks so much for your comments gongo - If enough of us make enough noise, someone eventually will have to listen.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're creating problems yourself by trying to solve this issue instead of looking at why their is a problem in the first place.

Steve said...

Once again an anonymous, protect industry at any cost dickhead proves they have no idea... I am not creating problems, the noise problem does exist and it is proven time and time again by our, government and industries own monitoring and modelling. Government and even industries own reports admit they are breaching the noise regulations, yes breaking the law, but the bent Western Australian Department for Environment and Conservation will not do anything about it, even though we have asked as far as Parliament for noise protection to be provided.