Monday 16 June 2008

Let Us Not Forget

The most recent photo of Dot Hesse 2006 by A. Gade.

At about 2.30am on this day two years ago I recieved a phone call from my Mum saying she could not breathe, after phoning the ambulance I headed to her house in Kwinana, doing 145km/hr down the Kwinana Freeway. By the time I arrived the ambo's told me it was too late and nothing could be done.

My Mum Dot Hesse passed away suddenly on 16 June, 2006. She is deeply missed.

It seems the pollution that Mum fought so hard to improve may have finally caught up with her, on the day of her death and previous days the particulate levels were extremly high and she died due to blood clots.

The work she did for this community goes on, but it is not easy without her knowledge, tenacity and care.

This speech by Dr Judy Edwards MLA pretty much sums it up:
Parliament of Western Australia
DOT HESSE - ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVIST
Statement by Member for Maylands
DR J.M. EDWARDS
(Maylands) [12.59 pm]:


"I take this opportunity to briefly acknowledge the passing of one of the state’s most significant environmental activists, Mrs Dot Hesse. Dot died very suddenly last Friday morning, and she will be missed by us all. I was honoured and privileged to have been invited into Dot’s home when I was opposition spokesperson for the environment. I had kept in contact with Dot over the past 10 or so years. Dot was well known to people in many parts of the government. She was not perhaps always favourably regarded because she was very forthright and, at times, very loud. However, on all occasions she was absolutely committed to environmental protection, particularly environmental health and good outcomes. She was a stalwart in the Kwinana area, and she will be sadly missed. I acknowledge all the work she has performed. On all the occasions I met her, although at times exceedingly passionate, she was particularly concerned about workers and their health and about the environment. She was a remarkable woman because in my last meeting with her, while on the one hand she was pretty angry with a perceived lack of government action on an issue, she was able to engage on a person-to-person basis in a constructive manner. Vale, Dot Hesse, and thank you for all the work you have done for us all".

We remember you Mum. We miss you Mum. We will never forget.

2 comments:

Enviro said...

Dot will be remembered always for The Great Lady she was.She is still sadly missed by her many friends and associates.Her inspiration was never ending as was she in tackling any and all industry.

Dave said...

My thoughts are with you Steve.