Monday 9 February 2009

A nation mourns

Horrific - is how one blogger described the story. And really what other word best describes Victoria's worst ever bushfires, with a confirmed 126 lives lost and the news that emergency services expect that number will increase to at least 230.

It is impossible to aprehend why anyone would delibertely set these fires.

I and I am sure many more here feel stunned and helpless, my heart goes out to those that have lost loved ones and property and those still battling the conditions.

With the temperatures here in Western Australia heading back to the 40's, we need to brace ourselves.

Perth Now - Sky News video WA braces for raging fires.

And not that far away Queensland Floods.

For those able to help Red Cross has online donation forms here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This fire has been an absolute catastrophic event, our hearts go out to all those that have lost loved ones,their homes, friends and pets.

Finally Australia has come together as one,with volunteers, firefighters Aus/wide and the Redcross.I hope other states realise it could just as easily happen to them and backburning in my opinion is so important to remove the fuel.

Steve said...

I am not so quick to jump on the Burn it all bandwagon. I think there must be some middle ground between those that want to burn eveything and some tree huggers that don't won't to burn off at all... Some questions I would like to see answered are - how many people die and are made sick from the effects of air pollution from burn offs, compared to those that die in fires? etc etc etc - and what about all the widlife that are injured and die horrible deaths because of calm back burn off? I would just like to know more about it so I can make an informed opinion.